In the current scenario, the IVF technology is evolving very rapidly in the field of Medical Science. IVF technology is one of the most creative and innovative techniques in the field of medical science. IVF technology is a blend of creativity and medical science.
According to the British NICE guidelines, IVF treatment is appropriate in cases of unexplained infertility for those women who have not conceived after 2 years of regular unprotected sexual intercourse.
As a result of the innovations, the cost of IVF treatments is getting affordable even at the best IVF Centres in Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai etc. you can get world class treatments at an affordable cost. IVF cost in Delhi and IVF cost in Chennai are more affordable when compared to other cities.
IVF is In Vitro Fertilisation.It is a process of fertilizing a human egg by sperm outside the female body. This process consists of stimulating a woman’s ovulatory process, removing an ovum i.e. an egg from the woman’s ovary and letting sperm fertilize the ovum in the laboratory. Then the egg is fertilized to form a zygote (fertilized egg) which is cultured for 2–6 days to grow medium in size and then it is transferred to the same women or another woman’s (surrogate mother’s) uterus, to meet the objective of a successful pregnancy.
IVF is a type of ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) which is used for infertility treatment and gestational surrogacy. In gestational surrogacy, a fertilised egg is embedded into a surrogate mother’s uterus, and thus the resulting child is genetically unrelated to the surrogate. There are so many restrictions on IVF in various countries which include cost factor and the age of the female to carry a healthy pregnancy to term. IVF is mostly used when expensive options have a greater probability of getting a failure.
IVF is used to succeed female infertility where it is due to problems with the fallopian tubes, making fertilisation in vivo difficult. It also provides assistance to the doctors in case of male infertility where there is a defect in the quality of sperm. In such situations, Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is used, where a sperm cell is injected directly into the egg cell. This is used when sperm the sperm faces difficulties to penetrate the egg. In these cases, the partner’s or a donor’s sperm may is used. ICSI is also used in case the sperm count is very low. The use of ICSI is to increase the success rates of IVF.
IVF is also considered suitable in cases where any of its expansions is of interest, i.e. a procedure that is usually not necessary for the IVF procedure itself but would be virtually impossible or technically difficult to perform without coincidently performing methods of IVF. Such expansions include PGD(Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis) to rule out the presence of genetic disorders, as well as egg donation or surrogacy where the woman providing the egg isn’t the same who will carry the pregnancy to term.
SUCCESS RATES OF IVF
The success rates of IVF are the percentage of all IVF procedures which result in a positive outcome. Depending on the type of calculation used, this result represents the number of confirmed pregnancies, which is called as pregnancy rate, or the number of live births, which is called as live birth rate. The rate of success depends on variable factors such as maternal age, the reason behind infertility, the embryo status, reproductive history and lifestyle factors.
Maternal age: Younger candidates of IVF have a greater probability to get pregnant. A woman older than 41 years of age is more likely to get pregnant with a donor egg.
Reproductive history: In many cases, women who were pregnant previously, are more successful with IVF treatments than those who have never been pregnant.
Due to advancement in reproductive technology, IVF success rates are substantially higher today than they were a few years before.
As described earlier in the article, In-Vitro-Fertilization (IVF) is a medical treatment which helps infertile couples to have a baby.
It involves extraction of an egg from a female partner (or donor) which is then fertilised in the lab with sperm from male partner (or donor) and the resulting embryo is implanted in the female partner’s (or surrogate’s) womb.
ADVANTAGES OF IVF:
- IVF technology helps infertile couple to have a baby of their own (with their own eggs and sperm)
- Unless donor egg or donor sperm is used, the DNA (Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid)will be that of intended parents only.
DISADVANTAGES OF IVF:
- IVF can result in undesired multiple births i.e. delivery of more than one baby. This has more possibility in IVF treatment than natural delivery because clinics and doctors tend to transfer more than one quality embryo in the womb to increase the chance of successful delivery.
- IVF technology can result in OverianHyperstimulation Syndrome (OHS). In this technology, ovaries of the intended mother (or egg donor) are stimulated to produce more than 1 high-quality eggs. The hormones and drugs which are used to stimulate ovaries can have side effects leading to the condition called OverianHyperstimulationSyndrome (OHS).
- Ectopic Pregnancy: IVF can lead to a pregnancy in which the pregnancy occurs outside the uterus. This kind of pregnancy is called as Ectopic Pregnancy.
- IVF success rates are much lower than 100%. IVF success rate depends on various factors such as the age of the female, quality of eggs, quality of sperms, quality of uterus etc. The success rate decrease with the age of female partner. The average success rate is about 25-30%.
- Painful: The drugs and hormones used during the IVF procedure can be painful.
- Costly: IVF treatment is costly. Since it has a low success rate, couples are usually required to go through multiple cycles or multiple attempts which add up to the treatment cost.
The technological advances in the modern era have evolved the IVF techniques which intensively help the childless couples. Since this is not very easy, so IVF surgeons should take intensive care while performing an operation on any patient.
Also, the quality of the instruments used for this operation should be good and they should be properly maintained. The patient should feel very comfortable while the egg is extracted and then implanted in the womb.
If done with proper care and precautions, IVF technique is a very valuable technique for childless couples as well as the doctor.