Side Effects of Hair Transplant –
Are you planning for Hair Transplant in India? Are you afraid of its side effects? Even though the chances of hair transplant side effects are rare, a person should be aware of the side effects of hair transplant before going for a hair transplant treatment. Hair transplant is very common nowadays, many people going through hair loss opt for hair transplant surgery and many of them are very happy with results. Hair transplant has helped many to regain their confidence and good looks.
However, there might be some side effects of the hair transplant. These side effects are usually minor and may clear up within a few weeks which may include infection, bleeding, and swelling of the scalp, itching, inflammation or infection, a crust that forms on the areas of the scalp, bruising around the eyes.etc. So it is always advised to talk to your doctor about the side effects before you go for hair transplant.
Hair transplant side effects –
Before knowing the side effects of hair transplant, it is very important to know what hair transplant is
It is a hair replacement treatment which helps to permanently restore the hair by transplanting new follicles in that particular site where your hair is thinning or balding. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia. The healthy follicles are removed from the back of the head usually known as the donor area during the hair transplant surgery, which is then implanted in the area where you have less hair or the bald area. The two most popular technique of hair transplant include FUE and FUT. FUE technique results in less pain and scars as compared to FUT technique
How much time does it take for the hair to grow after hair transplant?
As per a study after the hair transplant above 10% of hair grow in 3 months and about 20-30% in 4-5 months and 40%- 50% in 6-7 months, 60%-70% in 8-9 months and 80%-90% in 10-12 months.
Doctor’s opinion on side effects of Hair transplant
About misconception of hair transplant
Some patients have the misconception that FUE does not cause any scars. This is however, not the case; a scar is created with the 1mm punch utilized to harvest each follicular grouping. These scars are not visible to the human eye, while some scars are visible as pinpoint white atrophic macules. Most of the patients don’t notice these scars as they are far less noticeable than a linear scar, they are far less noticeable than a linear scar, Patients should be aware that on a closer inspection these white scars may be visible.
Various side effects of Hair transplant
Hair transplants are very safe procedures with very few side effects. The common side effects may involve swelling, numbness, minor discomfort, itching, and local inflammation. However, these side effects are not that severe they are temporary. Some patients may also experience shock loss, this is and the hair will grow back in 3-6 months. Some other risk factors may include bad design of your new hairline may be a risk factor, but this can be avoided with an experienced surgeon, good communication with your surgeon and supporting staff.
Risks involved in Hair Transplant
Every surgery involves some risk in it. However, when a hair transplant is done by an experienced hair restoration surgeon these risks can be minimized. Some of the risks involved in Hair transplant surgery are redness, scarring, shock loss, pluggy look
About Shock loss
Many people worry about “shock loss” after hair transplant. Shock loss causes your hair to fall out after hair transplant. However, this rarely happens if the surgery is done in a proper manner. Most of us go for FUE in order to avoid ugly linear scar in the back of the head. Advances in the surgeries have reduced injury to existing hair. The scars are much more precise than what is visible to the naked human eye.
About hair loss after surgery and hair regrowth
As with any hair transplant procedure, shock loss is one of the most common side effects, but it is not permanent. This is mainly caused due to the stress exhibited to the transplanted area, apart from swelling. The grafted hair can also fall out anytime between the first few weeks up till 3-4 months after the procedure, however the seed of the transplanted follicle will remain intact, and these seeds will help regenerate a new hair. Patience is the only key during such situations.
The complications are relatively low, infections and bleeding are minimal. If the procedure is not done well the scars may be visible at donor site.
Patients Opinion On Hair Transplant
Pain after surgery
Hair transplant is a surgical process and occasional complications may arise as with any surgical process. A few years back I had a hair transplant, though the transplant was successful I had to face some problems such as swelling around the eyes and forehead, numbness, itching etc. I was really worried and also discussed this with the doctor; he prescribed some pain relieving medicines, which I took for few days, later everything was normal. Now my hairs look great.
Itchiness and Swelling after surgery.
Soon after I got my hair transplant I had to swell in the forehead and scalp, there was also some itching later, but the doctor had already warned me about such side effects. I avoided scratching the itchy scalp. I took proper measures which helped me a lot. I applied the moisturizer and wash my hair with a mild shampoo which really helped a lot to treat the itchy scalp. The symptoms persist only for a week after which I recovered. Hair transplant has totally changed my life, it has not only given me a new look but has also boosted my self-image.
Though hair transplant is a very easy procedure, there are some minor complications associated with it, so it is always better to prepare yourself for it in advance.
Below are some of the side effects of hair transplant:
- Hair shedding: people planning for hair transplant, should know that they might have to deal with hair fall before they get a head full of hairs. This normally happens after hair transplantation and this process is known as. This happens because the root get intact and the hair follicles fall down and then growth starts from root again. Within 2-3 weeks the transplanted hairs fall out and by 3 to 4 months.
- Pain: The pain involved in hair transplant may be very little. Some people may not need pain relievers at all, while some other may take mild pain relievers.
- Itching: one of the most common side effects include Itching. This often caused due to the formation of scabs at the hair transplant site. Itching does not last more than a few days. Washing your hair with a mild shampoo will diminish the problem of Itching.
- Bleeding: Bleeding may also be one of the side effects of hair transplant. Many experienced doctors try to minimize the blood loss but in very rare situations the bleeding might not stop. Usually putting pressure on the area usually stops the bleeding.
- Infections: Use of antibiotics before and after the surgery reduces the chances of infections. However, in rare cases it might occur.
- Swelling: Many people experience Swelling around the forehead and around the eyes after the surgery. They normally last for only a few days. For some, it may also result in black eye.
- Numbness: Many patients complain of feeling numbness for several weeks after the surgery. This is temporary.
- Scarring: In the case of FUE hair transplant you will have tiny micro scars, these scars will slowly disappear in few weeks, hair growth will hide these marks, In the case of FUT hair transplant, you may have linear scar which gets hidden when the hair grows properly.
- Cysts: You can see Cysts in the area where hair has been transplanted; this is one of the most common side effects of hair transplant which may last for few weeks not more than that. They rarely are more than the size of small pimples.
As Per Wikipedia: Shock loss is one of the most common side effects of hair transplant that is usually temporary which causes hair thinning. Bald patches are also common as about 50-100 hairs can be lost each day. As almost 5% of transplant patients suffer from post- operative hiccups. There are many other side effects which may include swelling in the areas such as the scalp and forehead, taking proper medicines may help ease the swelling .The patient should be careful if the scalp starts itching, as scratching the scalp will make it worse and might cause scabs to form. Using a moisturizer or massage shampoo might help.
One Should be aware of the side effects of Hair Transplant Surgery before going for it.
The hair transplant procedure has its own side effects and risks as it is an invasive procedure, there might be a possibility of infection, and it may also result in scarring and delayed wound healing. However, choosing the right surgeon and taking proper post surgical care, can help minimize such risks.
Points to remember:
- Hair shedding after the surgery: One can expect shock loss to occur, two to five weeks after the procedure. This is normal as it is a part of a healing process as a reaction to the trauma that your scalp underwent. This will lead to the growth of new and stronger hair follicles into the scalp. This phase is temporary and doesn’t last for a long time.
- Every patient heals differently: Every patient has their unique biology and every individual heals uniquely, some people may see stubbles of hair growth at two months while some other may notice this around three months after a hair transplant. Some people may be more prone to scars as compared to others. So it is very important to discuss all this with your doctor and ensure that you get personalized treatment.
- Even after your hair transplant procedure, you may have to take hair loss supplement.
As in any surgery, there are some complications associated with hair transplant surgery also, it’s always advised to meet a doctor and know about all the possible side effects and the ways to treat it before going for a hair transplant surgery.