Do you know cataract causes loss of vision in many of the people. Clouding of the lens in the eyes is known as Cataract. It is a very common in older people, it affects the vision, and Cataracts are mostly related to aging. The main reason people loosing their vision at the age of 40 is cataract. Cataracts are small at the beginning, things might start looking blurry later on, which may cause serious problem.
What causes Cataract?
- Light rays travel into our eye through the pupil and are focused onto retina through the lens, when we look at something, the lens must be clear in order to focus light properly onto the retina. If the lens is not clear vision becomes cloudy and this loss of vision is termed as cataract.
- Mostly the lens is made of water and protein, which is arranged systematically that keeps our lens clear and allow the light to pass through, these proteins may clump together and start to cloud in a small area of the lens as we age.
- Over a period, it may grow higher, making it harder to see. If you feel you are loosing your vision in a blurry manner you should always consult or talk to your doctor as soon as possible.
ClinicSpots educate people, with the problems related to health and hair. Medical counselors at clinic spots provide the best counseling services to people of hair transplant in Mumbai and help to find the hair transplant clinics in Mumbai.
Apart from age, there are many other reasons that may cause cataract
- Spending too much time is sun without protection.
- Excessive use of medicines used to reduce cholesterol
- High blood pressure.
- Eye surgery
- Alcohol consumption
What are the symptoms of cataract?
- Blurred, dim or clouded vision
- Difficulty seeing at night
- Fading of colors
- Double vision
How a cataract can be prevented?
- Still, there is a controversy about whether cataracts can be prevented, but there are many researchers who suggest that nutrients and supplements reduce the risk. Food which is rich in vitamin E helps in reducing the risk of cataract.
- Higher dietary intakes of antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin c and food containing omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of cataract.
- You may also use sunglasses that protect you from the sun’s UV rays.
When should one go for cataract surgery?
- The treatment of cataract depends on the level of visual problem. There is no eye drop or medication yet, to prevent cataract. New eyeglasses, anti-glare, magnifying lenses can help deal with early cataract.
- In case these measures don’t work, then the only option left is surgery.
- Surgery is done when the cataract has progressed enough and is posing threat to your eyes.
Cataract surgery is a simple and painless procedure and helps in getting your vision back, that doesn’t mean that you have to rush into surgery, you can think of it, talk to your eye specialist and then go for a surgery if you feel, it will help you in getting your vision back. The clouded lens is removed during surgery and in most cases it is replaced with a clear, plastic intraocular lens (IOL).
When to remove a Cataract?
- Many people have cataract but all of them don’t have blurred vision or has difficulty engaging in everyday activities like reading, watching TV, etc. However, if a person is facing these problems then he might have to remove the cataract.
- In case a person has cataract in both the eyes, it is not recommended to have both the surgery at the same time.
- Doing so may lead to infection or other complications that might affect both eyes.
At what stage of Cataract development one should go for surgery?
- There is no such stage for cataract surgery.
- In the past, due to lack of technologies extracting lens safely was a difficult process.
- But today, with modern advances it is possible to remove lens from the eye at any stage, however, it is true that longer a cataract develops, it gets more difficult to remove it.
- Hence it is better to remove cataract at the early stage than at the later stage. However, one should never go for surgery unless he is really affected by it or experiencing blurred vision .
- If the cataracts are allowed to develop over a long period, it may cause inflammation or increased intraocular pressure that leads to glaucoma which may lead to loss of vision.
- In such cases it is very important to remove the cataract in order to prevent loss of vision.
What is the recovery time after cataract surgery?
- Some patients may immediately see the results, or the day after cataract surgery, while some may take a little time and some other may take approximately a month to reach maximum vision improvement.
- A patient is said to keep his or her eye covered all the times with eyeglasses or an eye shield during the first week after surgery to protect the eyes from being rubbed.
- He /She are also recommended not to bend with head below the waist, not to lift more than 10 pounds, not to strain much. As all these activities can increase the pressure inside the eye and can even open the incision
- To prevent infection and control inflammation, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops are used after cataract surgery, after a few weeks of surgery, the patient is checked for eyeglasses and a final prescription is given.
So it is recommended to meet a doctor immediately whenever you notice the symptoms or if you have blurred vision, which is affecting your daily life. With proper treatment you can get your vision back.