Writing about your experience is a far better way to show your feelings. It provides an outlet to describe your emotion. I am very much inspired by the people who write their personal experience. I am doing the same. A couple of days ago, I was walking along the road where i met a man, who was bald, and i was wondering that my intuition can be right about this person, suffering from cancer. He was so calm and quiet, what are his feelings about cancer. He replied “it seems like i am dying each day”. It was a very disturbing statement.
Here is a little description about cancer, because many people are unaware about Colon Cancer. As per American society of cancer and top cancer hospital in India, it is a form of cancer. It mainly develops in 1 among 20.
Hospital are upgrading their facilities to treat colon cancer as cases of colon cancer is increasing. As per one reputed cancer hospital of Mumbai they are seeing constant rise in of colon cancer cases.
There are many specialty hospitals and research centers which are in constant efforts to make advancement in cancer research. There are many cancer hospitals which has their own cancer research center.
- Rectum cancer, also called as colorectal or colon cancer, basically develops into colon or in the rectum.
- In a human body, rectum is located on the tips of the few inches of colon.
- The initial stage of colon cancer normally begins as small polyps.
- In most cases of colon polyps there are presence of benign, but some may become cancerous, as a result all the polyps are tested always if there is the presence of cancer cells.
- There are possibilities that many people develops its symptoms where as many people don’t.
- Still, its exact cause is not known, however, doctors have concluded many factors that may increase the risk of developing it, which all include:-
- Family history of colorectal cancer / cancer in the genes.
- Polyps in the colon.
- Diet rich in fat
- Chronic ulcerative colitis
What are the Symptoms of Colon Cancer?
Almost as many people with colon cancer are completely unaware that; they have the condition to develop the cancer unless they are screened for it. This is just because it has no symptoms. Moreover, just in case the people experience symptoms, then they may have the following:-
- bleeding from the anus
- loose stool or diarrhoea
- dark spots in the stool
- stool in pencil-shape
- abdominal discomfort
- unexplained fatigue
- appetite loss
- weight loss
- pain in pelvic
How is Colon Cancer Diagnosed?
- If you are concerned about your health, it becomes necessary to consult a physician. If the cancer is suspected, he will prescribe you with lower GI (i.e. lower gastrointestinal series) with barium enema. It is a kind of X ray, of the colon and rectum, that is given after enema containing barium dye
Your doctor may also suggest you to go for a colonoscopy. Colonoscopy is a test that confirms the presence of colon cancer and locates any polyps or tumours present in the colon or rectum
- At the time of lower GI, any kind of abnormalities will be seen as a dark shadow in the X ray
- So colonoscopy is often used to confirm its presence, and to remove polyps
Tests that examine the colon and rectum:-
- Physical exam and history: Exam of the body that checks the sign of health, which include signs of disease such as lumps. Past history of patient’s health habits and illness.
- Digital rectal exam: Rectum exam, in this test the staff or the doctor inserts lubricated, finger glove in the rectum to feel for lumps or anything that seems unusual.
- Fecal occult blood test: It is a test to check the tool for blood that can be been seen only under a microscope. Samples of small tool are taken on special cards and are taken to the laboratory for further test.
- Sigmoidoscopy: It is a procedure, in which we can look inside the rectum and sigmoid. Sigmoidoscope is a thin; tube like instrument with light and its lens are used for viewing. It is inserted through the rectum into the sigmoid colon. It also has a tool that removes the tissue samples and polyps, that gets checked under the microscope for any leading sign of cancer.
Certain factors that may affect the chance of recovery and treatment options.
- A particular stage of cancer (whether the cancer is in the lining of colon or has spread in the walls or spread to lymph node or in other parts of the body).
- Whether the cancer has blocked or made a hole in the colon.
- Are cancer cells left after the surgery?
- General health of patient.
Treatment for Colon Cancer
The main treatment given to people with colon cancer mainly includes — surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and counselling. Depending upon the stage of colon cancer, person having, you may be given a choice to choose between many treatments or you may be advised to have more than one treatment. Moreover, there are possibilities even after treatment, the cancer may come back. Currently there are no ways to determine, if this will occur.